Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Don't Tell People Your Dreams. Show Them.

I'm working from home today and tomorrow. 

The last few days there have been a lot of things on my mind.  I've been feeling slightly overwhelmed by it and encouraged in others. 

I broke away from work stuff to stop at one of my fave spots and saw this on Maggie Steifvater's Tumblr - http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/image/107995177006

Reading that gave me a bit of a boost of knowing I can do this.  I can do this and other things.  It's a lot but it's achievable. 

I probably won't write it up all here since I have a meeting coming up but I guess what I'm getting is that this cold is messing with me feels/thoughts, lol. 

I will say all this writing has my mind going again.  Years ago when I decided to become serious about my writing I got ideas all the time and was constantly writing them down then around 2010 or 2011 they slowed or maybe I stopped writing them down as much or maybe a combination but my ideas, when they did come, were much more concentrated and weren't as loosy goosy. 

I was reminded of this commercial recently.  I forget what I was watching when it came on but I like it nonetheless - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmQvc6tB1o (GE Commercial "Ideas are scary").

4 comments:

  1. I used to get ideas for books all the time in the last year or so that has stopped completely. I don't know if I'm just more focused on the stories I've already thought of or these are all the stories i get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought. My ideas were becoming more focused and sort of filtering out the things that wouldn't go anywhere but since taking on this daily 100 and attempting to write short stories, it's like the plot bunnies have been festering. Not necessarily with anything for a full length novel but there have definitely been a lot of ideas firing.

      Delete
  2. Good advice from Tumblr! I'm on the other side of that conundrum, where I have to actively stoke future ideas because unless I dream them, I don't really generate them randomly. Luckily, knowing y'all has helped encourage that side of my brain! I should really follow your example and make an idea list to plan around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, the cabin comes in handy for something else :) I've had ideas that generated from dreams but those don't occur often.

      Delete