Monday, January 16, 2017

Movie Review: Hidden Figures


Movie:  Hidden Figures
Date:  Jan 7, 2017
Rating: 4 out of 5
Trailer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wfrDhgUMGI

The second film movie of 2017 was a definite hit for me.

This is a late review however so a lot of details I might have included before or somewhere in the ethos of my mind. 

However I do remember enough of the 'feels' I got from this movie to know that I would definitely recommend it.  So first off what's the story?

Hidden Figures is based on the untold true story of three African American women.  These women worked during the time of Jim Crow and were ef'n brilliant.  Imagine to be as intelligent as they were in a time when it was accepted you were second class citizens and not afforded the same opportunities, furthermore to be women.  It's painful to think that even today that statement is applicable.  

I believe it's important to note that the film is based on the book of the same name.  I haven't read the book but I'm curious about the differences so at some point I may take a gander to see where Hollywood might of glossed over or condensed the story for the sake of entertainment and time such as grouping all three together, making them friends seeing as each went on to do something very note worthy by being the first "...  ..." 

In going to see this movie we made it a 'girl's night' so I had mi madres, sister, and niece.  I really wanted my niece to walk away empowered from it but I think the adults were reeling as well.  What I loved most about this film was seeing these three women working together, balancing their aspirations with the challenges of being a working colored woman with a family in a white male dominated climate.  And it wasn't just flack they got from the white men and white women but also from their own families.

That level of defying the impossibility of it all was moving.  It was motivating.  And I was happy for it.  I kept worrying that something was going to steal my joy when it came to this film but I think regardless the message was there.  As art is meant to inspire.  I feel like the movies I seen so far this year have managed that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment