Sunday, July 19, 2015

Week 12: Hangover

WC:  562


I fucking hate my life right now.


“Gawd Alissa! How much did you have to drink this time?”

My roommate, ever so supportive, does not hold back on her general disdain for the the manner in which I left the bathroom. The cold tile floor feels good against my inflamed cheeks.

I feel my mouth opening to say ‘chill Lu’ but the words are swallowed by another swell of vomit and it goes projectile before I’m able to find the porcelain throne once more. When I’ve stopped, body ragged and feeling spent I look over to Lu. She’s standing in horror at the smelly company her legs have attracted.

“My beautiful kingdom,” I mumbled before falling to the side, body leaned against the tub, “off with her head!” And I fall asleep noting the particular note of disgust on Lu’s face. Looks like I just lost another roommate. And friend.

The next night I’m at a new bar that promises to not hold any of the familiar faces that will reprimand or invoke those evil words “you’re cut off.” I don’t need them. I don’t need their judgmental gazes bearing down on me as if I’m not in control. I know perfectly well what I’m doing… most of the time.

“Hey sexy” said creeper at nine o’clock. He’d been watching, stalking, and finally had worked up the courage to take a chance. I might entertain a free drink but I was still pissed from the not so warm welcome at my favorite digs. It was eating at me.

“Don’t waste your time buddy,” said a voice I hadn’t expected to hear. I turned around just as Lu’s older brother, Ray, took a seat beside me. Creeper slowly backed away. “I had a theory,” Ray started as his eyes followed creeper, ensuring he went back to whatever crawl space he’d come from, “Either you went to Friendly’s or the nearest sketchy place that would shower you with free drinks.”

“Ding, ding, ding,” I said. “Free drinks always win.”

“You sure, I thought it was the sketchy part that sealed the deal,” he said holding up a hand and getting immediate service. I always figured bartender’s must have a secret signal to get such fast service. Ray was the bartender at the bar I liked to seek my ‘spirits’ at except tonight he wasn’t so open to receiving me.

“Shouldn’t you be getting a tip for smiling at a pretty guy right now?” I said as I took a swig of my beer, “thanks for the drink.”

Ray shook his head and tipped the bartender. I watched the exchange but when I couldn’t decipher anything out of the ordinary I guzzled down the rest of my bottle and took Ray’s.

“You know if you’re that thirsty-”

“I’m not,” I said taking another swig. I started to stand and the world spun. I reached for the edge of the bar but instead found my hand grasping Ray’s bicep. As we stood there my eyes staring at his chest, too afraid to look up I heard the one thing I’d been dreading all week.

“10… 9… 8… 7… 6… 5…”

Ray’s grip tightened as he stood me erect…

4… 3…

His hand under my chin, tilting it…

2…

My eyes closed…

1…

His lips came down on mine.



I didn’t hate my life at that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment