Monday, June 17, 2019

Catch & Release


Well I forgot to blog yesterday :(  Or rather I remembered but then I would procrastinate and try to get in just one more thing or find a reason why it wasn't convenient to do so.  Lesson learned.

But no worries just going to post what I meant to yesterday in a very 'not as great as it sounded in my head' type of way.

SO I had this sort of realization regarding a mouse (which turned out to be two, so mice) Saturday night.  Friday night while watching a movie discovered we had a mouse.  I want to try the no-kill route but I also don't know if I can handle what to do with it.  So I get two traps, one that's no kill but with an option for a glue board and then a d-con trap which once set can just be pitched once the mouse goes in.

I reckoned that if the mouse went into the non-kill trap I'd take it around the corner to the park and set it free there (in hopes it wouldn't come back).  Was up late Saturday night and sure enough it went in while I was watching "Fight Club".

Maybe it was watching the movie or maybe I was just in a sort of deep thinking mindset but I wondered about the headspace of the mouse.  Did it think it was going to die?  Now that I write this, maybe it's my writer brain going... because there was this wonder if the mouse might just drive itself to the point that it might try to end it's own torture or what if I had set the glue trap, would it have gnawed at it's limbs to get free... And that did just make me sad since that felt like a slow torture too.

Then came the idea of thinking of what if we all are in some sort of cage either by our own design or higher entity (God, aliens, whatever floats your fancy) and if we just hold out a bit longer we'll be set free?

So Saturday night the mouse, once it got in, was definitely freaking out, trying to get out, I mean I could just tell from the sound.  Even with me walking it didn't be still sometimes.  However when Sunday morning rolled around there was silence.  And of course my mind went to all sorts of crazy places like "OMG, what if there was a rat too and it went in the cage killed the mouse" or "what if it just ended it all" … but this was not the case.  Moving the couch I discovered there were two in the trap.  And a bit of mouse poop on top telling me that the second one might've tried figuring out how to help the other before it too wound up in the same place.  But they kept each other quiet.

Was the one quiet now that it wasn't alone?  Or was it just that it was day?

Perhaps I'm overthinking (which is a prerequisite for being Denise) but there was something good in knowing that without knowing the mice had chosen to live (as neither entered the d-con trap which is still set).  I've got both traps down still as my grandfather is worried that there are more but I really think it was just the one (well two).

I tried to get a picture of both but one came out blurry and you can only see the body in the other.

I'm weird... I know...

As a side note Church service on Sunday was GREAT and the message really hit home/solidified where my headspace had been a bit for the week and what I need to do.  Also saw MIB International with my nephew which was also great having that time with him.  So I was very thankful for the small things yesterday (and today).  Bit bumpy today but worked on staying the course.







No comments:

Post a Comment