Friday, September 6, 2019

Midsommar - Director’s Cut

When your Swedish roomie invites you to his commune for an event that happens every 90 years as their special guest, what have ye say...?




But let’s back track as that question is a bit misleading given the way things went down... There’s a bit more at work here with “Midsommar” which I enjoyed.  I’m sure there are references to things that totally went over my head.  However from just a shallow level of viewing the film I liked it and will talk about a few of the things I liked.

I liked the beginning.  The anxiety felt by the main character.  For me that was an easily accessible access point for my caring about the character and what she’s experiencing.  I lost some of that with her clinginess to the bf, but I got it.  And later on when she addresses the elephant in the room I appreciate her even more because she KNOWS what’s the deal but instead CHOOSES to continue on a path.  Like so many of us rather we are willing to be honest and admit to it (or not).

I like that she’s a Psych major; that there is something about her own inner turmoil and this new found isolation.  But mostly, and this took watching another YT review, addressing how we grieve.  And I think this is probably one of the big things I hadn't realized was a thing for me.  It had also been a focus in another work by this director... who I'm pretty sure I'm going to email and ask for him to take on MD.  You know when it gets optioned.

But getting back to the film...

Of course there was the typical moment of “WHY THE F*CK AREN’T YOU LEAVING?!” I imagine anyone who sees this movie will have this thought occur at the exact same time.  Though this is one of my problems that even if this commune is part of an anthropological thesis for two of the characters, at one point do you go ‘this doesn’t feel morally right...?’

And the ending, I did hit up YouTube to check out one take of it but I feel like an alignment happened.  That the chaos of the inside was now matching the outside.  Dani had found her 'home'.  My thoughts at least.

Anywho enjoyed this film and would recommend it to anyone who liked “Hereditary” since it’s by the same director (Ari Aster) or if you just enjoy a good psychological thriller.

A few other things to note before I wrap up.  When I purchased this ticket I hadn't realized it was the Director's Cut.  So I have not seen the shortened version but this one clocked in at nearly 3 hours.  And despite the length I really didn't mind it.  In fact it only crossed my mind near the end because my phone kept buzzing and I finally sneaked a peak.  I did some quick math and realized then "wait, I thought this movie was just 2 hours and some change".  I took the trailers into consideration but since this was a movie only re-released into theater for the labor day weekend I didn't bank on 20 minutes worth of trailers and I don't think that's what I got.

I DID get a  film whose original theatrical cut was long, which I didn't look too closely into upfront to know, but still worthy of my time.  I may go back and check out some of the other films that this film resembled, specifically Wicker Man, if/when I have time to.

Otherwise I look forward to this director's next project.  He's on the same mental list as M. Night Shyamalan for me.

Lastly three things I'm grateful for so far today:
- Peach Green Tea (w/ lemongrass and mint) Teavana makes me think of my childhood, or specifically having a sandwich on rye bread … might be hungry too :)
- synchronicity … when you can see it in play and things just magically align/fall into place
- lessons/opportunities to remember what it is we've forgotten that we've already learned
-


No comments:

Post a Comment