Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Allergic to Ownership? Whose to Blame? ...Really?

I had originally planned on posting an audio clip of me reading "Ned Finally Died" but as I was settling down to do some work I noticed a headline that read something along the lines of "Another Brand Disappearing Because Millennials Refuse to Buy..."

I paraphrase.  But it doesn't matter really.  Open a Google search, enter millennials, and there's likely a slew of articles about what this demographic is destroying.  When did we, people, society, culture begin to find it acceptable to place 'blame'?  When did ownership die?  Is this an American thing?  Or is it more widespread?

Instead of looking at our part for a situation and having an honest look at our contribution are we, most of us, doomed to cycle through a never-ending blame game?  I hope not.  In fact I don't believe so.

Recently I've been observing this need to blame, with myself, family, and those around me.  I catch myself when I find my mind coming up with an excuse/reason for why something isn't done or if I've made a mistake.

An example of this if I'm cooking and one of the kids suddenly decides it's time to play 20 questions.  Next thing I know something has burned or I've opened a container to wide and something has spilled.  The immediate reaction is to go "well they distracted me from the task..."

But did the kids really distract me?  Or did I make a decision to try to do both?  Did I decide to continue on with the task and listen to them at the same time?  Did I decide not to ask them to wait for me to finish?  Did I...?  Not them.  Did I.  Me.

Now when it happens and I make a mistake I own it.  I say "I should've paid more attention.  I should slow down.  I should've paid more attention..."

As I tell the kids, as it has been a theme that I try to instill in them frequently, no one is inside your head controlling you like a puppet.  No one is moving your body.  You have a choice.  Even when you think you don't.

Now if you're of the mindset that there is no such thing as free will, then that's a whole other conversation but the kids don't understand that concept nor do most adults.

So I default to the fact that a lot of us look to others for the problems in our life rather than try to sit down and take a conscious look.  What were the decisions that got me here?  What am I doing?  Am I repeating behaviors?  Are there habits that I do when presented with a situation that I continue to do?  Have I tried to react differently?

When we can be mindful in a moment of adversity by becoming the observer (neutral) we can become free of a cycle.  Step one to that is accepting ownership I believe.

Are there thoughts, negative in nature, that I manifest?  Do I feel I am worthy of love and acceptance in my life?  Or do I put out certain thoughts that are the opposite in nature?

So much of what we experience is what we project.  What is the reality your creating?  How are you curating your mind... the world around you...?

Ownership.  Own it.

One step closer to loving your Self when you can answer and address the thoughts as they occur.

/ramble

So tomorrow, pending nothing gets on my radar, I'll post my snipped of NFD.

But the goal for today will be working on the website and catch up in the Illustrator class.

Also just to have a pic in the entry, here's the updated/revised MD cover.  I took this pic while in the RR yesterday.  I love the large monitors.  Have to make that as a gift to myself to invest in one day soon.

Anywho, I still need to upload it on Amazon/Kindle.  Planning to do that later today or tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment