Monday, February 16, 2015

Week 5 Short Story: Haunters Anonymous


Haunters Anonymous

 

WC:  1213           

 

“I was stabbed in the neck.   Several times,” I said and no one batted an eye.  It wasn't the craziest death out there by any stretch of the imagination.  I saw Stu yawn.  He’d died in a plane crash, half his face was missing.  His mouth was always open and the charred bits ruffled as he exhaled.  He was one second from getting up. 

                “I’m sorry,” I said stopping, “My death really doesn’t matter.”

                Jill, the counselor, who said she died at her own hands but had never exactly said how smiled to me, “Keep going.  That’s what we’re here for.   How can you expect to get better if you don’t talk about what’s plaguing you?  You have to get to the root of your haunt.”

                My head dropped into my hands.  I could hear Jill continuing with her jargon.  The others just sat by fading in and out because some itched to return to their haunt more than others.  I remember then.  The pain of each jarring shrill of the knife as it sliced through muscle, tissue, my throat warmed by the blood coursing down it. 

“That’s why I’m here,” I said as I lifted my head.  My eyes narrowed and tilting my head revealed the scars of my death.  “You see, it was my daughter.  She was only 8.”

I noticed some ears, or those that had them, perked but feigned interest.  I joined this group months ago and watched them, waiting for this day. 

“I believe, no I know, my daughter was possessed.  No one believed me then but it’s no coincidence that I’m here” I look around our trust circle then.  They still don’t know.  They still haven’t figured it out.

“She stabbed me so many times I lost count but you see I was still there.  I watched her.  I watched her eyes become hers again.  I watched the horror spread across her face as she saw the blood, the knife, and she dropped it then.  She returned to me and I held my girl for one brief moment before I was gone.”

Maise doesn’t look at me but her eyes blink rapidly.  She doesn’t reach for the box though, none of them will because they’ve heard much worse. 

“But just as I died.  As I held my baby girl I made a wish.  I wanted to know who had possessed her.  And why, why her…”

Jill goes to stand then.  I raise my arm and bring it down with force.  She’s back in her seat.

“You see I made a deal with the devil.  Or whatever it is.  I wanted to know and so when I died I woke up here.  I’ve been in this group since that time.”

W laughed.  I’ve always wondered if it might've be him.  He’s the quiet one of the group.  No one really knew how he died but he’s the worst when it comes to ‘kills’ with haunts according to the “Chronicle”, the ghost worlds obituaries except it list places that were recently haunted and the known deaths associated with it. 

The white light flickers and I’m sure it’s W’s manipulation.  Perhaps he’s made a deal of his own.  “The irony,” W has turned his eyes to the rest of the circle.  They don’t seem to know what to make of his bright yellow teeth and his purple gums that seem to have a dash of red caught in every other tooth. 

Jill has dropped her pad.  “Oh W,” she quickly has fetched the pad, rubs down her skirt suit and smiles, “Would you like to share today?”

“I wasn’t done,” I announced and wave my hand forward closing the two doors to the side and latching their locks.

W laughed again, “Oh Jill, just give it up.  No point in talking.  The Haunters are being haunted.”

I closed my eyes then.  I’m still aware of the seven members of the room.  Stu gets up to try the door.  Jill closes her eyes and tries to dash out but I’ve already summoned all the power I could.  I've made my bed and now I’m going to lie in it one final time. 

I just want to know who. 

They all take pause.  I’m in their head, just where I want to be.  W has bust a gut and is doubled over.  I can’t discount him but something tells me possessing 8 year old girls to kill their mother isn’t his forte. 

You know who it is don’t you.

Maise covers her ear and begins rocking.  Stu ducks under his chair with a mock radio in his hand, “Mayday, mayday we’re going down.  I repeat.  We’re going down.”

The room enters into complete chaos.  The twins Brandon and Brandy, teenagers at the time of their death run to the stock closet and hide in there, seeking comfort in the same place they’d been found. 

I had been so consumed with this moment, that finally the time had come I hadn’t taken the moment to hear her as she pleaded, “Mom, stop, please.  You don’t have to do this.”

I didn’t have to.  I hadn’t always been like this.  The first few days I had thought I’d learn to let it go but then my daughter arrived to the same place.  Dead for reasons I hadn’t known but I suspected the same spirit that took hold of her once hadn’t been done. 

“It’s okay,” she cried out. 

But it’s not.   It never will be.

“It was me,” Brandy shouted from the closet.

“No, it’s been meeeeee,” Maise tries to say even as her breath gets caught on a wheeze.  Stu has radio in, “roger that, I possessed that small girl at 0100 hours.”

W has stopped laughing, “I’m in.”

“Stop it Mom.”

“Me tu tut tutooo,” Brandon stuttered as he emerged from the closet.  Brandy close behind. 

My daughter finds me and stares into the beam of light I’ve perched myself on, “It’s okay, I forgive them. “

She closed her eyes then.  I felt the power I’d amassed slowly fade but I’m not done.  I won’t be able to hold out much longer.  I release the hold of the room and Jill jets out.  She runs to the hall and breaks the glass to signal trouble.  The rooms don’t empty out immediately.  It’s just me and her.  And she knows it.  Her lips trembled then and finally tears fall freely as she slides down the wall. 

”MOM!” 

But this knowing.  I always suspected but I still don’t know.  I still don’t have the closure.  My wrist have started to tingle and I could use the final trick up my sleeve but she still hasn’t admitted.  I still don’t know why. 

It’s not over.

I left.  My daughter hadn't followed.  And I don't expect her to.  The rooms have emptied out.  My daughter has joined Jill out in the hall and tries to sooth her.  I know she promises to protect them. 

In the time that I’ve been here I have realized I came here with a purpose but so did my daughter.  She’s the light to my darkness.  Protecting the one that brought this hurt to our lives but also trying to save me in the process. 

I just wish I could be saved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment