Wednesday, February 4, 2015

...when I remember that I'm just a person...

This was supposed to be a resolution's update.  But that won't be happening.

So tonight's post will be short.  But I heard this on NPR today and I really liked what she had to say in regards to being 'human' first rather than a 'woman'.  And it really does just make life simpler when you look at it from that angle.


     "I think people of my generation, especially young women, are used to a reductive sort of empowerment," she tells The Takeaway. "And it's not like I think we should stop [saying] 'you're beautiful; love yourself'—but I guess at that age, when I was starting Rookie, I just wanted something that could be more nuanced, and was looking for something where you could be honest about feeling bad about yourself, or imperfect."
     She continues: "I always feel better about myself when I think of myself as a human before I think of myself as a woman," she explains, "because there are expectations attached to being a girl or a woman that, when I remember that I'm just a person, really kind of fall away."

Link to the story here - http://www.thetakeaway.org/story/trying-be-thoughtful-possible-tavi-gevinson-rookie/

1 comment:

  1. Great lesson and reminder. I sometimes I have to think of myself as just a person before being a writer and I need to give myself a break!

    ReplyDelete