Monday, January 14, 2019

The Biggest Dreams Take Time

I just saw these words on Sabaa Tahir's Twitter and they just breathed so much life in me, as in I want to cry because I feel overwhelmed by that truth.

She included a split image - one side a handwritten pile of Ember and the other side the bound finished copies of all three books.

I'm not comparing but it's definitely something to reflect that she'd been into Ember for 2 years, the image she snapshot was from 2009, meaning she'd started Ember in 2007.  In 2007 I wrote my first novel "The Makings of I and U".  It's since become a drawer novel and I have written 10 or 11 over novels from then until now.  I wonder what it might have been to focus my energy on TMIU but I knew that story needed more than what I could figure at the time and the advice was to keep writing, so I worked on something new.

In 2008 I finished Inevitable.  It would later by the first novel I queried that Spring.  But then it went nowhere and I moved on to the next one, then the next one, then another one, and so on and so on...

I've kept moving, to the point that I sometimes think earlier stories make their way into new stories because now they feel ready, and my subconscious dangles it like a carrot, waiting for me to solve the puzzle.  But I digress.

Seeing her words, again, gave me something tonight.  And I too hope to do the same for someone someday.  Be an inspiration in a moment that they might not realize they need it... just because.

Off to do a couple errands and will hopefully get in an index card tonight or write at least 500 words since I again did not go the Starbucks write in :(

Oh I also finished Mirage today!  I'm so ordering a copy for myself :) It's worth a reread.

No comments:

Post a Comment